A Brief History of the
for Comprehensive Dentistry
Our Academy was established in 2009 by the merger of two long standing local study clubs: the Minnesota Academy for Gnathologic Research, started in the 1960s, and the Minnesota Academy of Restorative Dentistry, started in 1952.
The MACD’s mission is to provide a forum for members to present, study, and discuss topics in comprehensive dentistry to enhance their clinical skills, knowledge and standard of care.
We enjoy the professional comradery that comes with a group of like minded individuals. Membership is by invitation. If you are interested in becoming a member, please let one of our members know.
A Brief History of the Minnesota Academy of Restorative Dentistry (MARD)
Dr. Arnold Larson, founder of the Minnesota Academy of Restorative Dentistry (MARD), first discussed the idea at the ADA meeting in Washington, DC, in 1951 with Drs. Earl Allen, George Lundberg, Louis Thom, George Porteous, Charles Peterka, Lester McCarthry and Harold Westerman. Sometime later, they met again, and the Minnesota Dental Forum came into being. At the organizational meeting, twenty-five charter members were present and the group's name was changed to the Minnesota Academy of Dentistry. In May of 1952, the following officers were elected:
Arnold Larson, President
Raymond Garvey, President-elect
Charles Peterka, Vice President
Harold Westerman, Secretary and Treasurer
The name was changed for the final time to the Minnesota Academy of Restorative Dentistry, and the Academy was incorporated. The charter members were:
Clement K. Bird, Ralph H. Boos, W Branstad, Lyle Brecht, Waldo Bugby, R. L. Dunton, I. A. Epstein, Raymond Garvey, Ray Jermall. R. F. D. Johnson, Arnold Larson, Roland Linstrom, Daniel Listiak, L. C. McCarthy, Charles Peterka, George Porteous, Iver Siqueveland, L. W. Thom, M. H. Thorton, Milton Walls, Walter Warpeha, Harold Westerman, Robert Weithoff, Douglas Yock.
Originally a candidate selected to become an active member of the Academy would submit to the Board of Directors a copy of his thesis or an outline of his table clinic no later than twelve (12) months after receipt of the notice of his election. Later, this was changed whereby new members shall lecture or present a table clinic to the membership within two years of having been elected a member. At one time, the Academy wanted to hear a presentation and critic it prior to presentation to dental societies, study clubs, or groups of dentists. This is no longer observed.
In the formative years, the Academy met at the Town and Country Club on the third Monday of each month from September through May. Meetings would start about 4:00 PM, adjourn for dinner, and then reconvene for a couple of hours in the evening.
(The Academy wishes to thank Dr. Fred Noble for reviewing the "archives" and preparing the initial form of this narrative in June, 1997.